23 Jun, 2021 12:18 PM

What i need to get to do medicine in uni?

what results do I need to get in GCSE's to do medicine in university? Is there a minimum amount of A's or A*'s needed? also what subjects should i do at AS and A level?? Thanks

See Answer 10 Add Answers
23 Jun, 2021 12:18 PM

Medicine remains a highly competitive area of study; generally three A levels, with high grades, along with supporting GCSEs (A - C), or equivalent will be necessary. Most universities require A level chemistry, although some accept chemistry at AS level; often A level biology is also required. Sometimes universities will accept an arts subject as the third A level but if in doubt, contact the relevant university admissions officer to clarify subject preferences. Your school or college may specify GCSE grade requirements in order to take these subjects at A level (all applicants for medicine also require high GCSE grades in English and Mathematics). In addition to A levels, most university medical schools require candidates to take the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT).

If you haven’t already done so, have a discussion with subject teachers and careers advisers about your most appropriate options. Relevant work experience is also useful, not only to help with the university application but also to confirm the appropriateness of this career choice.

You can check out what individual university medical schools require (through UCAS at http://ucas.com/students/coursesearch/). Use the course search facility for a current list of universities offering medicine and then select any university of interest, to check out entry requirements.

You may have already looked at these sites but if not, they may be helpful:
1. The British Medical Association at http://www.bma.org.uk/ - has a really useful section on ‘Careers, education and training’ and ‘Becoming a doctor’ (an overview of the professional role including specialist areas, relevant skills and attributes and entry requirements).
2. Connexions at http://www.connexions-direct.com/jobs4u/ - add ‘Doctor’ to the search box to go to this professional area. Use the link to ‘further details’ for additional information, including entry routes and requirements.
3. The NHS Careers site has a ‘Careers A – Z’ section with a profile on ‘doctors’: see http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/ - includes a course-finder facility.
(Each site has similar information but you may have a preference for the format and accessibility in some).

The Open University Young Applicants in Schools and Colleges Scheme (YASS) at http://www.open.ac.uk/yass/ may offer an opportunity to add breadth and depth to your study in preparation for university. With this option though, you need to be clear about the level of commitment required so that it would not be at the expense of A level grades.

I do hope this information helps with your subject choice and career plans.

23 Jun, 2021 12:19 PM

At our uni, official grade is AAB at A level, but most people get 4 a's. And there is no prescription as to what GCSE's you get as long as they are very good, i.e. A* in Maths, Sciences etc.

23 Jun, 2021 12:19 PM

AAA at A level. Subjects should include Chemistry and/or Biology at A or AS level.( this can be different at some uni's) If only one of Biology and/or Chemistry is offered at A or AS level, the other should be offered at GCSE grade A (or Dual Award Science grade A). Try and take a contrating Alevel as well as sciences like a language
for most uni's you need to sit UK cat http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/
Get some experience ,volunteer at hospital, find a GP that will take you on works experience, work at an old peoples home.

Pick some uni's and look at there websites for requirements etc.

Buy a book about getting into med school

There is quite alot of info on the new media medicine website (google it) and you can ask questions there.